Friday, February 23, 2007

The Jesus We're Getting To Know

Last night was our first small group meeting. There were 9 people there, which is a great start. Phil and Cassie are wonderful hosts...comfy chairs...peach pie...

I'm pretty good with names, but my biggest problem is remembering which wife goes with which husband. Hopefully everyone else can figure it out. Just for the record, though, it's Mike/Denise, Ben/Amy, Phil/Cassie, Chad/Becky, and Josh/Sarah.

I'm kind of a mnemonic device dork, but the other girls' names are helpfully alphabetic...A B C D. If you want to join our group, your (or your wife's) name needs to start with an E, please.

Josh and I have each been leaders of various small groups in the past, and it's now being an interesting challenge to lead a group together. It's been the source of some tension over this past week as we prepared for Thursday night, but ultimately we've both had to agree to trust one another's leadership style and allow this adventure to strengthen our relationship.

The book we're going to start studying is a Phillip Yancey book called "The Jesus I Never Knew." I think it will be a good pick for this group, most of whom grew up in church and have at least a basic understanding of scripture. But do we really know Jesus, in the sense that we walk and commune and seek and talk and relate with Him? Probably not very well, or very often, would be my answer.

So I'm humbled and blessed to be part of this group, to journey with these people, to spend time in worship, fellowship, Bible study and prayer. If you live in the KC/Liberty area and would like to join us next week, we'd love to share life with you. I think there's some leftover pie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All the birdies tell me that you both are incredible leaders. I'm so excited to hear about this group.

How was your first day of work?

Anonymous said...

Dietrich,

I need my thesis proof read! Just kidding...just happend to run into your blog. Sounds like you are doing great. Congrats on getting married. my email is tysonlambertson@hotmail.com