Thursday, October 26, 2006

Be a Duck


When we were in college, my friend Alyson used to say "be a duck!" as a reminder to find peace in response to stressful situations, letting the "rain" of frustration roll off your back.

Look at this duck. What kind of life is that?

Paddle, paddle. Watch the sun sparkle on the water. Quack at your friends. Preen your feathers.
Get your ducklings in a row. Gobble up pieces of soggy bread.

In Genesis 1:21, "God made...every sort of living and moving thing with which the waters were full, and every sort of winged bird, and God saw that it was good."

God definitely likes ducks.

Ducks do exactly what they are supposed to do in God's kingdom plan. Just like they are commanded in Psalm 150:6, "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!" Quack!

Tail-feathers waggle in the air when ducks dive down for a fish dinner, and that brings glory to God!

Because we're blessed with slightly more advanced faculties than the average duck, God gave us a few more responsibilities beyond waggling our tail-feathers. 1Thessalonians 5:16-18 says "Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus toward you."

Rejoice. Pray. Give thanks. In everything.

Even when your dinner is day-old slices of "enriched" white bread. Even when the rain beats down and you have to hide your head under your wing.

Even when you are humiliated by Ernie singing to you in the bathtub.

Even when circumstances in life suddenly become unexpectedly difficult.
Especially then.

It is God's will for us to worship Him, to seek Him for earthly provision and spiritual fulfillment, to give thanks for His abundant grace and promised deliverance. In everything.

May my heart learn to be like Paul's as he writes in Philippians, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

That's the secret of being a duck. Contented trust in my Creator, admiration of the earthly beauty around me, finding my place in the Kingdom.

Quack! Be a duck! Hallelujah! It is good to sing praises unto our God!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might try being a duck today - quack, quack!

:-P

God bless
Maria
www.inhishands.co.uk

Anonymous said...

Aly! Sarah! Parlor!

I miss these midnight chats. Great post!

Anonymous said...

I told Josh tonight at Vineyard that I was so excited to have that opportunity with you to have someone else attack our nails together & have lunch.

I love this post...Ernie making me laugh and most of all some reflections I needed to hear:

"Contented trust in my Creator, admiration of the earthly beauty around me, finding my place in the Kingdom."

Thanks...I mean...quack!
(p.s. Donna is excited to meet you. She is "raining grace" on my blogroll.)

Anonymous said...

I saw a duck at the river yesterday so it was helpful to watch and observe!

Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk