Tuesday, August 29, 2006

What's in a name?

Upon making the decision to join the Burton family, I became curious as to just what sort of folks these Burtons, worldwide, are. Both of my grandmothers are very interested in genealogy; however, I'm pretty sure this blog entry has nothing to do with actual bloodlines.

There are apparently a lot of people in the world with the last name of Burton...enjoy a few pages from my new "family" album!









Tim Burton...the bizarrely creative genius behind such films as Edward Scissorhands, Beetle Juice, several Batman films, James and the Giant Peach, and the second Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Be sure to catch Johnny Depp in Tim's upcoming Sweeney Todd.

Dan Burton... Indiana's Republican US Representative (Vice Chairman of the Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific). He's in his twelfth year in office, and reminds everyone to "Vote Hoosiers!"

Virginia Lee Burton...author and illustrator of Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. This book was made famous by Ramona Quimby who enjoyed the loud sound effects of the steam shovel, whose name is Mary Anne.

Gary Burton... honored with a Grammy Award for his 1971 jazz album Alone at Last, which features his solo vibraphone concert recorded at the 1971 Montreux Jazz Festival. This is a vibraphone.

Burton-on-Trent might not be Stratford-on-Avon, but Burton is widely known as ‘the brewing capital of England.’ Please remember to drink responsibly...have a half a beer.

Burtons also make snowboards. I don't know anything about snowboarding, except that it looks cold and adventurous, and has a lingo completely foreign to me. I plan on working on my Stale Fish Grab or maybe a Nollie so I can really feel like part of the family and bust some phat air!




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course there's also black-listed cousin Halle Burton, and it seems I remember a listing for Burton, Ernie... :c)

Anonymous said...

and his foreign cousin
Burton, Yuryur!

Can't believe I missed those guys!

Love from your daughter,
Sue Toopid

Anonymous said...

That's funny... in MY head it was always spelled Nyur-nyur!

Anonymous said...

I think you're confusing "Yur-Yur" with "nyup-nyup" which is Calvin's word for morning-dragon-breath.

To which I say...with reference to the secondary joke here...BLECCHH!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, outside world... does ANYONE know what we're talking about here? :c)

sarah said...

...crickets chirping...