Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Believe It

I already hate blogging.

I hate how the thoughts that occupy the space in my head refuse to be accurately translated to the space on this page.

I hate how often I hit the backspace button and watch twenty-seven minutes...or twenty-seven years...of thought disappear into the blankness.

I have quoted and deleted Jesus and Milton and Peppermint Patty. I have erased a million best-selling novels. My sister has a delightfully random blog, my fiance' has an intensely heartfelt blog, and I ?

Have a title.

Suspension of Disbelief.

It isn't much, but it took all year...

In 1817, Samuel Taylor Coleridge (of "Kubla Khan" fame) wrote "that [his] endeavours should be directed to persons and characters supernatural, or at least romantic, yet so as to transfer from our inward nature a human interest and a semblance of truth sufficient to procure for these shadows of imagination that willing suspension of disbelief for the moment, which constitutes poetic faith."

Which means...

In theatre or fiction, audience members and readers are asked for a "suspension of disbelief," accepting the limitations of a performance medium in exchange for entertainment. Suspension of disbelief makes song-and-dance musicals, sketch comedy, and hypothetical humor work. It's why Mystery Science Theatre is hilarious. It's why The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is horrifying. It's why Tod and Copper make me cry.

Because I buy it. For the moment, I put poetic faith in Walt Disney, or Christopher Guest, or Shakespeare, and allow myself to delight in something that isn't actually technically possible.

Maybe this is how the guy in Mark 9 was feeling. His son was possessed by an evil spirit (wicked convulsions...foaming at the mouth...gnashing teeth...the usual). The man asked Jesus, "If you can do anything, take pity on us and help us." Jesus responds somewhat dryly, "'If you can?'" And then Jesus says, "Everything is possible for him who believes."

The man immediately exclaims (before Jesus does anything), "I do believe; help me overcome my disbelief!" He's ready to accept whatever Jesus can do for his son, no matter how impossible it seems.

And then Jesus makes it happen...cue the music...enter the miracle...admire the special effects... exit the evil spirit!

I do believe; suspend my disbelief, Lord. Help me overcome my doubt and my pride and be ready for whatever You choose to do in my life.

So that's what this blog is about. Suspension of disbelief. Entertainment and faith. Laughter and learning to surrender my life to Jesus Christ more each day.

Believe it.

6 comments:

Karl Detrich said...

Oh, I do, I do, I really DO! :c)

Anna said...

no fair. I get a year of known uncomic and you get karl detrich?
how's that for sibling favoritism? hee.

joshB said...

So now we're just one big happy blogging family... I guess we'll have to premptively create blogs for our future children, so they can begin their blogs day one.

Anonymous said...

So THAT'S who known uncomic is.
ahhhhh!

:)
eeds

Anna said...

My number one rule of blogging:
If you have a blog, blog!

D said...

"One big happy blogging family," huh? Now you and Josh just need a joint blog like http://jessnless.blogspot.com.

I think you're doing great, Sarah. Your first post and you already havge SIX comments. That's amazing. Your loyal audience demands more.