Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Where do you go?

The man I am going to marry has adventure running through his veins. Unmapped lands, untried combinations of spices, untested methods of fixing garbage disposals or lawn mowers...he'll figure it out. If there's a tree on the prairie, he'll try not to fall out of it, waving at me from the top branch.

And the crazy thing is that he's asked me to come along. Into uncharted territories, unnamed cities and undefined spaces, into undiscovered places in my own heart and mind. He's Superman, Peter Pan, the last action hero. And me? I'm...I'm with him.

It's scary sometimes, leaping off cliffs and splashing through waterfalls. I feel like I often dig my heels into familiarity and resist his outstretched hand helping me fly.

Look at these pictures of Lois Lane and Wendy. Do you see the trepidation in Lois' face? Can you tell from Wendy's grasping hands and flailing feet that she'd rather be on the ground?


He loves the Five for Fighting Superman song that goes

I can’t stand to fly
I’m not that naive
I’m just out to find
The better part of me

I’m more than a bird...I’m more than a plane
More than some pretty face beside a train
It’s not easy to be me

Wish that I could cry
Fall upon my knees
Find a way to lie
About a home I’ll never see

It may sound absurd...but don’t be naive
Even heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed...but won’t you concede
Even heroes have the right to dream
It’s not easy to be me.


It's not easy to be him, but he's been given the grace to dream big dreams and go big places. And he's invited me along. I'm with him, for better or worse. That's my choice.

I will try.

Thanks, Dave Matthews, for putting it in words for me...

I am no superman not at all
I have no answers for you
I am no hero, and that's for sure
But I do know one thing

Where you go, is where I want to be

Where are you going?
Where do you go?
Are you looking for answers

For reasons under the stars

If along the way, you are growing weary

You can rest with me until a brighter
day

I am no superman, that's for sure

And I have no answers

I am no hero, oh don't you know
But I do know one thing,
Where you are is where I belong

Where you go, I do know, is where I belong



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ARE in for an adventure, and I know for sure that he is too.
Do you think we should get superman capes for Cam & Josh for Christmas? Hmmm, what would we get for us?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but does he do Lemon Chicken? :c)